Monday, October 21, 2013

power in change

As a school-girl, I loved the fall.  New pencils and notebooks ready to be put to use, new teachers and classrooms, a wide-open year of learning ahead.  Even the air in the fall smells new, so crisp and clean.  I loved that the changing school year brought with it so much opportunity.   

Since those early years, I have come to truly believe that incredible optimism comes with change.  Not knowing what lies ahead can be scary, but that is also what makes it so exciting:  you have the power to shape this new venture into whatever you want!  And while you are at it, you may as well make it amazing.  The clean slate and jumping board are ready for you.   

As you know, my sweetie and I have made a move to the mountains.  We find ourselves giddy when we wake to fall-yellowed aspens and sunlit granite peaks.  This change was something we pursued for the balance it brings to our lifestyles and the proximity to the activities we love.


However, in this change, I needed to find a new job (I will wait to tell you the details, but I am super excited to share the news soon!).  In this new position, I will be doing something I have never done before.  And the company I am working for has never done it either.  Sure, I have experience with a good portion of what will be required, and both my employer and I think I am qualified (whew!), but I will be learning a lot as I go.  

It can be pretty terrifying to leave something you know how to do, you do it well, and it feels comfortable, to go to something completely unknown and therefore very uncomfortable. But that is precisely why I am so excited about this new position (sure, part of it is the fact that the company, people and job are all super awesome!):  that discomfort will push me to work harder, learn more, and make sure this is successful for everyone.  No-one knows how this is supposed to go.  I get to be the one to figure it out.




1 comment:

  1. Good for you. It's a brave thing to do, but very rewarding too.

    ReplyDelete