Sunday, November 10, 2013

cilantro chimichurri

When I was growing up, I loved the taste of ketchup (and somehow I have a feeling you did too).  I loved it on my fries, meatloaf, fish sticks, even on my mac and cheese and especially on my fried clams.  The acidity and sweet/saltiness balanced the fatty flavors that I loved.  I didn't know that at the time, though, I just loved ketchup.  I also kinda loved the fact that it was so hard to get out of the bottle!  But that is beside the point....


My topping of choice lately, is cilantro chimichurri.  It has all of the same sorts of flavors ketchup does (tangy, sweet, salty, a bit spicy), but with a totally different, more grown-up take. Definitely not a classic chimichurri (don't tell my Argentine friends!) but still really delicious.  I recommend making some and keeping it in the fridge, just like you might ketchup: ready to top everything!   I especially like it on my salmon, but it is delicious on roasted veggies, grilled meats, and of course, that mac and cheese too. 

Cilantro Chimichurri 
makes approximately 21/2 cups
 store refrigerated, up to one week - if it lasts that long!

Into a blender,  combine all ingredients until smooth
 (you may need to work in batches with the leaves, to get it all in there!):

2 bunches cilantro - leaves and tender stems
1 bunch parsley - leaves and tender stems
2 cups baby arugula 
juice and zest of 1 orange
juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 serrano pepper, roughly chopped 
(use less if you don't like the heat)
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar 
salt and pepper, to taste
water, as needed to help liquify the herbs
 (add in splashes to prevent adding too much -you want the chimichurri to be pourable, but not watery)

To aid in blending, stop the blender a few time and try to stir the contents - pushing leaves down and bringing liquid up. 















No comments:

Post a Comment