Wednesday, July 10, 2013

roll with it

My sweetie and I have started a new little tradition (granted, it is only the second year, but I think that counts as a tradition!).  With the right planning and juggling of vacation days, we are able to spend 4-5 days in the woods around the Independence Day holiday, wholly self-sufficient.  I find it really pleasurable (and a bit tortoise-like!) to carry everything needed on my back, stopping to rest when tired, eat when hungry, swim when upon lakes; no need to hurry back to the car for a snack or swimsuit.


This year, we loosely plotted our route, considered what to pack, and made a list of foods to prepare.  Unfortunately, we don't go backpacking very often so our preparation isn't super efficient.  He was away in the days leading up to our departure, so we exchanged a flurry of texts, "Do you have the backpacking stove?" and "I'll pick up more fuel" or "I can't find my compass, do you have yours?"   Eventually, we felt we were pretty well prepared and we headed out for our little adventure.


There were a few hiccups, despite our planning.  The sore throat and headache I was trying to ignore turned into a head cold as we reached the woods.  I forgot to pack some of the food.  We had less fuel than we thought we would need.  My recently repaired sleeping pad re-sprung a leak.  A lightning storm greeted us the first morning.
 
But you know, we rolled with it.  And it worked out pretty darn well.  Hiking with a cold didn't turn out to be a problem, I would simply move at a slower pace (and nap on logs!).   The food and fuel was carefully rationed (plus, we convinced the park cafe to sell us some tortillas prior to heading out!).  A combination of seam grip and gorilla tape slowed the leaking air in my sleeping pad.   And after waiting out the short storm, we had a cool morning followed by a series of sunny days.


Regardless of the hiccups, we had a great time.  How could we not, though: walking through the forests, camping at lakes and streams, spending some sweet time both in nature and together.  Next time, however, I will pay a little more attention to that packing list.  And I'm adding decongestant - just in case!


No comments:

Post a Comment