Monday, March 11, 2013

citrus season

One of my favorite things about living in California is the winter-time citrus.


While in college, I lived in a funky little house on C Street with more personality than structure.  It was super run-down, but had a lot going for it: close to both campus and downtown,  brightly colored walls (painted by my roommate and me!), and the orange tree in the yard.  The most amazing orange tree.  Ever.

We did nothing to care for it (unless you count the 'fertilizing' the chickens did as they wandered about the yard) and yet it produced the most deliciously sweet, juicy, and beautifully colored fruit I had ever had.  It spoiled me:  I haven't been able to enjoy an orange since.  Even those at the area Farmer's Markets can't hold a candle to the C-Street Orange.

Missing my C-Street Orange, I sought out other California citrus.  In time, I discovered the Meyer lemon and the sweet-tart cakes and curds that can come of them (recipe to come!).


My current obsession, however, is the grapefruit.  Plump, slightly bitter, and delicately sweet, it has such a refreshing flavor on these oddly-warm winter days in SF.  A favorite way to revel in the grapefruit refreshment is with a certain cocktail: The Greyhound.  My sweetie perfected the ratio and mixing while I have enjoyed the 'fruits' of his labor.



The Greyhound
by Tim Guffin

1 part good vodka (we like Grey Goose)
3 parts fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
3-4 ice cubes

Shake together until very cold.  
Strain over ice. 


1 comment:

  1. yum! We have been on a Meyer-Lemon, Hendricks Gin & Soda Water kick up in Sonoma. :)

    ReplyDelete