Monday, April 29, 2013

apple snacks

I love to cook.  But sometimes, among working with food all day, waning inspiration (gasp!), and participating in calorie consuming adventures, I don't want to cook and simply need fuel.  But it still has to be tasty!

While working in kitchens, I would often reach for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (on wheat!) to help fuel me through the grueling work hours.  Simple, sustaining, and far enough removed from the fancy meals I was preparing, I probably ate a PB&J nearly every day.

When I learned my daily sandwich needed to fall by the wayside for the health of my body, I found other things to fill that need.  Nothing ever really lived up to that peanut butter sandwich, though.  I was missing that sweet and salty snack that helped to keep me full.  

I don't know what took me so long, but I slowly found my way to apples with peanut butter.    It is the perfect combination of sweet and salty, crisp and creamy, protein and carbohydrate.  Dare I say, it is even better than a PB&J?!

Now, I find an apple without peanut butter to be slightly boring - sweet, one dimensional, lacking.  Peanut butter without an apple, well, that is still delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment