Wednesday, September 11, 2013

annibirthday surprises

I'm not very good at keeping secrets.   But for the last month or so, I have had to keep mum to my Mom, someone I talk with nearly every day. 

You see, my sister and I decided to throw our parents a little party.  They have been married 35 years, which it certainly reason enough to celebrate, but they also had milestone birthdays this summer.  So we combined it all in one big surprise "annibirthday" party.


It wasn't easy, seeing as how I live in SF, my sister lives in Spokane, and the party was to be at our parents' house near Portland.  Many text messages, phone calls, shared spreadsheets and Pinterest pins helped us to organize.  Our Mom commented several times, to both of us, "It's so nice you girls are talking so often lately!"  We were sure she knew something was up.  Moms always know everything. 

But somehow, we pulled it off.


We needed a reason for our parents to be in town that weekend (after all, they are retired and like to go traveling about!), so my sister asked to come stay for the weekend, "Sam has a golf tournament in Portland," she claimed.

They had no idea my sweetie and I would be there as well. We secretly flew into Portland, carrying cakes, cookies, and sheet pans in our luggage.  Mallory and Sam picked us up at the airport with their minivan packed with party supplies (and of course, golf clubs!) as they came into town.

We had a spreadsheet dictating our tasks and their intended timing that proved to be amazingly accurate.   Taking over our friend's kitchen, we tackled the prep list.  After working into the wee hours, Mallory and Sam slipped off to our parents' house at the time they would typically arrive, had they left Spokane after work.  Tim and I stayed at our friend's house to maintain the secret.


The morning of the party, Mallory gets Mom out of the house and crossed her fingers Dad would leave as planned, just behind them.  Unfortunately, the delivery of chairs and tables arrive while Dad is still at the house, but the quick-thinking driver claims he has the wrong house.  Dad thinks nothing of it.  He later told us he saw a party down the road and he assumed that is where the furniture was meant to go.  (Whew!)

While Mallory is off entertaining our Mom and Dad is showing his MG at a car show,  we swoop in to start cleaning, placing furniture, decorating, and finishing the food.  Thanks to a team of helpers, we finish well ahead of schedule and had time to play some games and visit with guests as they begin to arrive.   


There were two very special guests that were able to come: my uncle, who sees my Dad (his brother) approximately every 5 years and made the trip from Georgia, and my Mom's childhood best friend who traveled over 4 hours on the same day as her grandson's wedding to attend the party for a short time.


Once my uncle arrived to the house, he and Sam head to the car show.  John surprised my Dad near his car, sneakily asking him from behind how much he wants for it.  The two of them "decide" to leave the car show and drive up the hill in the MG,  Sam following in the minivan.

Mallory calls me and pretends that I am Dad telling her not to stop by the car show because he is planning to leave early (sneaky!).  Mom and Mallory head up the hill just in front of John and Dad.

They saw the cars parked in the field and the people in their backyard, but they still didn't think this could possibly be a party for them.  All pulling into the garage at the same time, my Mom sees John in the passenger seat of the MG.  A bit confused, definitely surprised,  and already tearing up, she then sees me come greet them in the garage,  "YOU are here, too?!"


Friends, family, celebration, games and food: It was such a great party that was truly a surprise to our parents.

Now we have 35 years before we do it again!


*all photos by the talented Tim Guffin
** I will share recipes from the party in my next post.

1 comment:

  1. So sad I couldn't have been there. Still can't believe you both lied to your Mom for so long along with Nyn.

    ReplyDelete