Wednesday, January 9, 2013

once a runner

I ran today.

Ok, so it was not very long, and it was on a treadmill, and it was broken up by walking. But I will take it;  This is the closest I have been to a run since July.

See, running is in my blood.  It's an addiction that started 20 years ago with a painful 1-mile loop around a canyon with my junior high track team.  In the time since, I have rarely taken more than a week off.  Sure, over-use injuries and time commitments have kept me away for short bouts, but this time, it was different.

credit: St. Helens Chronicle

One night last summer, I decided to do a little beach bouldering instead of my standard evening run and ended up pulling a hand-hold down to the crash pads with me.  The remainder of the year has been a haze of squeaky crutches, brightly colored casts, and rehabilitation.  And no running.

At first, this was really tough.  It is very hard to suddenly shift from the routines of a working, running, "strong and independent!" (complete with fist pump) woman, to being weak and dependent, unable to work or run.

But then I started to learn a few things.   I learned how to ask for help.  I learned how to be pretty darned self-sufficient, from crutching down the sidewalk with my giant, laundry-stuffed pack, to navigating the Muni on one foot.   I learned how to be alone with myself.  The biggest thing I learned is this:  I don't have to run every day.  I won't fall over and die without running.  This was a pretty big revelation for me.

credit: Tim Guffin



Even so,  I still consider myself a "runner," and I have used the ability to run as a gauge for my rehabilitation.  When I can run again, free of any limps or hitches, I will be healed.  Of course there have been many forms of healing in this process, and my run today simply signifies the strength I have gained throughout.










No comments:

Post a Comment